Cover Letters That Kill

9.3.17

Hello my lovelies,

I'm back at it again, when am I ever going to get my uploading dates right?!

I took a long sabbatical because stuff in my private life blew up so I took time off to deal with it and now that I have I wanted to let you all know that I will no longer be posting three times a week. I found it challenging all the time, and wasn't getting out great quality content that I wanted for my online space, I have now decided to upload twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Keep up to date with what I post by following me on the various social medias -> links in the 'follow me' panel!

I have great news too and that is.. *drum roll please* I got an internship!
I was so happy that I finally landed an internship in Central London, and this comes with a handful of great blog posts coming your way about how I applied to the way I dress for work to new dining hotspots!

So what I thought was important that I know a lot of my friends don't really do is write up cover letters that go with your job application and CV. It is important to write a cover letter because not everything can be expressed with a CV or a general application, a cover letter goes more in-depth about the specific job you are applying for and the experiences that you have had and how they link together.


Golden Rules for Writing a Cover Letter

  1. A cover letter should accompany your CV unless otherwise stated.
  2. Never repeat your resume - Your cover letter should show personality and interest for the field you want to work in. Mention your opinion about the field and your perspective on how it might change. 
  3. Less is more - I would aim for a cover letter that is about half a page with three to four paragraphs. Remember the interviewer has to read many CVs, job applications and cover pages, you need to make yours stand out from the crowd.
  4. Address - If you don't know who to address it to, you can go for the generic 'To Whom It May Concern' or address it to nobody and get stuck right into the paragraph.
  5. PDFs - Not all computers are able to read .docs or .pages files, and converting them is a nightmare and the hiring manager is just not going to bother opening or trying to deal with it at all and move to the next applicant. But, you can always send a PDF and anybody can open it without the result of formatting errors and can't be easily tampered with.
  6. Proof read your CV and covering letter using computer spell check, but also by printing out a quick draft and reading it, a hard copy always looks different from when reading from a screen.
  7. Make your cover letter individual to each application you make and make sure you send the right one to the right company or organisation.
  8. Use your own words, avoid jargon and clichés.
  9. If you are sending your cover letter electronically, then add it to the body of the email instead of as an attachment to avoid spam filters and security checks that lead your email to junk.
  10. You don't have to disclose anything that is not legally required, such as a disability, but when asked don't say that you don't have one even though you do as you could potentially lose the job if you were found out to be lying.
  11. Don't share any unnecessary personal details, they don't need to know your life story.

Example of a Cover Letter

Here is an example of a cover letter I wrote for a job application to a charity, please bear in mind that I have removed details and replaced them with 'XXX' which is where you will need to fill in the specific details:

Post a Comment